Organisations in North Tyneside are joining forces to make sure the public enjoy a safer Bonfire Night.
In the run up to November 5, North Tyneside Council is cracking down on illegal bonfires and anti-social behaviour with help from Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service and Northumbria Police.
Last year, a record amount of material was removed from the borough during the campaign, preventing 28 illegal bonfires.
To help keep the public safe this year, the council will be visiting known hotspot areas from early next week.
As well as offering advice and distributing letters about the dangers of illegal bonfires, they'll be removing any material found with assistance from police community support officers and firefighters.
Speaking about the return of the campaign, Cllr John Harrison, cabinet member for Housing and the Environment, said: “Keeping our residents safe is one of our top priorities and this initiative certainly helps to do so.
“Last year, we uplifted 36 tonnes of material destined for illegal...
Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS) is encouraging residents and businesses to take extra care to protect their loved ones from the risks of fire.
This valuable advice comes as the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) plan to hold further strike action as part of its national dispute with the Government over pensions.
The FBU has decided upon a further four days of continuous strike action in England as follows:
Commencing Friday 31 October 2014 at 18.00 hours until Tuesday 4 November 2014 at 18.00 hours.
Chief Fire Officer Tom Capeling, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The Fire Authority and I have a legal duty to provide a fire and rescue service as far as is reasonably practicable. As with all fire and rescue services, military support and the green goddesses are no longer an option to us in carrying out our duty to protect the public.
“During periods of industrial action, the Service will offer a limited response service. A reduced number of appliances will be...
The Emirates Stadium, so used to welcoming some of the world’s elite footballers every week as they take to the hallowed turf that sits in the middle of the 60,000 seat arena, had a different clientele last night as it welcomed Crimestoppers and organisations in both the public and private sector for the UK Social Media Communications Awards 2014.
Crimestoppers, along with our partner Esri UK, were nominated in the category for Best use of Twitter following the 24 hour Tweetathon campaign that we carried out in September last year.
For those that missed it, using Esri UK’s geo mapping technology, we were able to drop pins on an interactive map to highlight where and what type of crime was being reported anonymously to Crimestoppers over a 24 hour period, and share this on Twitter.
The information on the map was sanitised and pinpointed a region, not a town or city, so there was no danger of anyone who contacted us being identified, but gave us an opportunity to give our Twitter...
Two men have been sentenced today (24th October 2014) to over nine years at Carlisle Crown Court for possession with intent to supply £29,970 worth of drugs.
On 14th August 2014, Dean Gee, aged 23, from Kinder Grove, Romiley, Stockport, and Liam Wilson, aged 21 from Linney Square, Wigan, were arrested in Workington following a stop check and search of their car. Police officers found cocaine, mephedrone, MDMA (ecstasy) tablets and powder, which totalled a street value of £29,970, all hidden in the car.
They both pleaded guilty on 1st September 2014 to four offences of possession of drugs with intent to supply. Wilson was sentenced to five years and four months and Gee received a sentence of four years.
Sergeant Duncan Brooker, who led the investigation, said: “Wilson and Gee were arrested as a result of pro-active policing. Police officers were suspicious of their behaviour, stopped their car in Workington and found a substantial amount of drugs.
The Tri-force Major Crime Unit has won the Investigation of the Year award for bringing serial killer Joanne Dennehy and her accomplices to justice.
The Operation Darcy/Dante investigation team from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit received the award from the Police Federation National Detective Forum (PFNDF) in Brighton yesterday (Thursday, October 23).
This was one of the largest investigations in recent times involving multiple murders, the disposal of bodies and a subsequent nationwide hunt.
Led by Detective Chief Inspector Martin Brunning and supervised by Detective Sergeants Andy Crocker and Mark Jinks, the team worked tirelessly throughout the cross-border investigation resulting in the arrest and prosecution of both Dennehy and her three male accomplices.
With more than 700 statements taken, nearly 400 officer reports filed and more than 80 taped interviews undertaken with witnesses – some vulnerable – and suspects,...
Bedfordshire Police Chief Constable Colette Paul today handed over a cheque for £364.06 to the Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA) after undertaking the Ice Bucket Challenge at Bedfordshire Police Headquarters in August.
The Chief’s challenge – which can still be viewed on YouTube – took place in front of 63 new officers who were taking part in their Passing Out parade. 58 of them had just completed their twenty week training course, while the remainder had joined earlier in the year and were already out on patrol. All the officers will be helping to deliver local policing across the county, bolstering operational capability and strengthening the frontline. An additional 36 recruits have also just arrived at Kempston Police Headquarters forming part of an on-going recruitment programme.
Chief Constable Paul was one of millions of people across the world who took up the challenge of being doused in ice cold water to raise awareness and funds for MNDA. In the UK a staggering £7 million...
Two men who carried out a robbery at a ‘Phones 4 U’ store wearing burkas have been jailed for a combined total of 10 years.
The men, both ex-employees of ‘Phones 4 U’ had been under investigation by the store for alleged misconduct matters. Sabek had resigned two months before and Khan a month before they carried out the robbery.
They were both sentenced today, Friday, 24 October, at Kingston Crown Court.
Mohammed Sabek, 27 (27.11.86) of Grosvenor Road, W4 has been jailed for five years.
Aneel Khan, 28 (22.07.86) of Gloucester Road, Kingston-upon-Thames has also been jailed for five years.
They were each convicted of one count of conspiracy to rob on Thursday, 16 October, following a trial at the same court.
Detective Constable John Baldwin, from Wandsworth CID, said: “Both Sabek and Khan are now facing a long jail sentence because they thought by wearing clothing to conceal their face and body they could commit crime and not be caught.
“What both of them failed to realise is that the Met...