Fire officers have issued a warning for people to use outdoor cooking appliances correctly after a family in Newcastle were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes.
Two adults and five children required hospital treatment after the incident in Walker on Sunday. (19 March)
Two Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service crews from Byker were called to the terraced house at 11.07pm after the alarm was raised. Firefighters ventilated the property and gave technical advice.
All the internal appliances were checked by qualified engineers who found no faults with any of the equipment.
Group Manager Andy Lillford, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue, said: “It appears that the family was using a barbecue close to the property and this caused a build-up of carbon monoxide which made them unwell.
“Carbon monoxide is a silent killer – you can't see it, smell it or taste it. Common symptoms of CO poisoning include dizziness, headaches, nausea and generally feeling unwell.“If you've planned a barbecue and the weather lets you down, never take the barbecue indoors or into a tent. In recent years some people have sadly succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of this.”