"Thought this may be of interest. It was awarded as you can see to Sonning Fire Brigade in 1926. My connection is this would of been given to my great grandfather as he was station officer Edwards. I’m not sure why it was given.’’ - Gordon Houchen
Photos: LFB Twitter On Sept. 18, 2017, fire gutted a warehouse at White HartLane, Tottenham. Twenty-five engines answered the alarm. Flames were visible across North London. Part of the structure collapsed. The brigade's response includedfour aerials and five rescue units.
Photos: LFB Twitter On Sept. 14, 2017, fire destroyed a warehouse at Chantry Place, Harrow. Propane cylinders were involved. Traffic was stopped as a precaution at the nearby Headstone Lane train station. Eight engines responded to the fire.
A series of failings that hampered the efforts of firefighters to tackle the Grenfell Tower fire and rescue the building's residents have been identified by a BBC investigation.
Crews cited low water pressure, radio problems and equipment that was either lacking or did not arrive before the fire on 14 June got out of control. Newsnight has learned a high ladder did not arrive for more than 30 minutes. The London Fire Brigade says it has changed its procedures since the fire. A high ladder will now automatically be sent to a fire in a tower.
An independent fire expert said having the high ladder, which is also known as an "aerial", available earlier would have given firefighters a better chance of stopping the blaze when it jumped from a fourth floor flat in the tower block and began to race up the side of the building. More than 200 firefighters and 40 fire engines were involved in battling the blaze that engulfed the block in North Kensington, west London. About 300 people are...
On Feb. 10, 1969, a fire and explosion at a hardware rocked the village of Ripley in Surrey.
"The explosions sent shattered roof tiling across the High Street, windows on the opposite side of the road were cracked by the heat, properties rocked, and a gas cylinder was thrown 150 yards across the village green into trees," the Guilford Times and Advertiser reported.
Firefighters from Guildford, Woking, Esher and Camberley responded to the alarm.
"The fire began while a tanker was pumping paraffin into the store; a store which sold everything from bicycles, television sets and crockery to furniture, paraffin, gas and petrol," the newspaper said. "Large-scale evacuation procedures were pursued because of the fear that petrol tanks would explode, the tanks being under the forecourt, and under the garden of an adjacent cottage of Mr and Mrs Charles Shoesmith, who were on holiday in Majorca."